Black Lives Matter-Ugliness of Racism.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Accused cocaine importer walks due to 'racial profiling'

Author of the article:Michele Mandel
Published May 03, 2024 • 3 minute read

Pulling someone over for driving while Black — indefensible. Suspecting someone of being a shoplifter by virtue of their skin colour — unconscionable.

These and many other disturbing examples of racial profiling in our society are rightly condemned.

But when it is used by accused criminals to wiggle out of charges?

A man charged with importing a whopping 23 kilos of cocaine had his charges stayed recently after an Ontario judge found the RCMP officer at Toronto Pearson Airport racially profiled him and violated his Charter rights — even though he had other “reasonable” grounds to suspect him.

“Questioning a traveller at the border cannot be based on race. There is no dispute that anti-Black racism is prevalent in Canada and continues to be a reality in Canadian society. The courts have an obligation to take claims of racial profiling seriously,” wrote Superior Court Justice Nancy Dennison.

“Where race or racial stereotypes are used to any degree to select the suspect, it is racial profiling. It does not matter if police had another justifiable basis to detain the individual.”

Ian Edwards was arrested on Sept. 17, 2018 after returning home from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, on an Air Transat flight. The Jamaican-born Canadian citizen had declared on his customs form that he was over his liquor limit but after being directed to a border agent, he was told his two bottles were fine.

But the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer had other concerns about Edwards: he’d booked his ticket just two days before the trip, it was only for four days and he’d travelled three times in the last couple of months to the Dominican Republic, which is considered a drug source country. He was also sweating, mumbling and not responsive to the officer’s questions, she said, including not knowing where he stayed.

So she sent Edwards to secondary inspection on suspicion for narcotics. Another traveller from his flight was sent there as well.

Edwards argued he was only selected by the border agent due to him being a Black man, but the judge disagreed.

Dennison, though, did have issues with the arresting RCMP officer identified only as “Supt. Ryan.”

He’d been told two men who had been sent to secondary inspection had been seen leaving the washroom. “An inspection of the washroom by CBSA officers revealed a broken ceiling tile on the floor and a hole in the ceiling above. A subsequent search in the ceiling revealed several bags containing, what turned out to be, 23.8 kilograms of cocaine,” the ruling said.

During his questioning, Edwards told Ryan a friend had paid for his plane ticket as a favour and he’d gone to visit a girlfriend he’d met on the dating site Plenty of Fish. Like the CBSA agent, the officer was suspicious of the last-minute nature of the trip and its short duration to a drug-source country.

But he added another reason for being suspicious: “In his experience, someone of Jamaican background travels to Jamaica rather than other Caribbean countries. This was also an indicator for him,” Dennison wrote. “He stated it was just another piece of information that stood out as being unusual.”

That’s all it took for the judge to find the RCMP officer had racially profiled Edwards — and despite Ryan’s evidence that the man admitted he’d been in the washroom where the 23 kilos had been found and that he had observed the ceiling dust seen on his shoulder, his arrest for importing coke was now null and void.

“Supt. Ryan relied on a stereotype based on national origin to expose Jamaican-born Canadians to different treatment and scrutiny. There are no independent studies to support his perception that Jamaican Canadians travel to Jamaica and not other Caribbean countries or that they are more likely to return to their country of origin than any other national,” Dennison wrote.

“The fact that Supt. Ryan had reasonable objective grounds to approach and suspect the applicant of importing cocaine is of no moment. Supt. Ryan relied on his perception of persons of certain national origin and race should travel as an ‘indicator’ in suspecting that the applicant imported cocaine.”

And Edwards walked free.

mmandel@postmedia.com

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Accused cocaine importer walks due to 'racial profiling'

Published May 03, 2024 • 3 minute read

Pulling someone over for driving while Black — indefensible. Suspecting someone of being a shoplifter by virtue of their skin colour — unconscionable.

These and many other disturbing examples of racial profiling in our society are rightly condemned.

But when it is used by accused criminals to wiggle out of charges?

A man charged with importing a whopping 23 kilos of cocaine had his charges stayed recently after an Ontario judge found the RCMP officer at Toronto Pearson Airport racially profiled him and violated his Charter rights — even though he had other “reasonable” grounds to suspect him.

“Questioning a traveller at the border cannot be based on race. There is no dispute that anti-Black racism is prevalent in Canada and continues to be a reality in Canadian society. The courts have an obligation to take claims of racial profiling seriously,” wrote Superior Court Justice Nancy Dennison.

“Where race or racial stereotypes are used to any degree to select the suspect, it is racial profiling. It does not matter if police had another justifiable basis to detain the individual.”

Ian Edwards was arrested on Sept. 17, 2018 after returning home from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, on an Air Transat flight. The Jamaican-born Canadian citizen had declared on his customs form that he was over his liquor limit but after being directed to a border agent, he was told his two bottles were fine.

But the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer had other concerns about Edwards: he’d booked his ticket just two days before the trip, it was only for four days and he’d travelled three times in the last couple of months to the Dominican Republic, which is considered a drug source country. He was also sweating, mumbling and not responsive to the officer’s questions, she said, including not knowing where he stayed.

So she sent Edwards to secondary inspection on suspicion for narcotics. Another traveller from his flight was sent there as well.

Edwards argued he was only selected by the border agent due to him being a Black man, but the judge disagreed.

Dennison, though, did have issues with the arresting RCMP officer identified only as “Supt. Ryan.”

He’d been told two men who had been sent to secondary inspection had been seen leaving the washroom. “An inspection of the washroom by CBSA officers revealed a broken ceiling tile on the floor and a hole in the ceiling above. A subsequent search in the ceiling revealed several bags containing, what turned out to be, 23.8 kilograms of cocaine,” the ruling said.

During his questioning, Edwards told Ryan a friend had paid for his plane ticket as a favour and he’d gone to visit a girlfriend he’d met on the dating site Plenty of Fish. Like the CBSA agent, the officer was suspicious of the last-minute nature of the trip and its short duration to a drug-source country.

But he added another reason for being suspicious: “In his experience, someone of Jamaican background travels to Jamaica rather than other Caribbean countries. This was also an indicator for him,” Dennison wrote. “He stated it was just another piece of information that stood out as being unusual.”

That’s all it took for the judge to find the RCMP officer had racially profiled Edwards — and despite Ryan’s evidence that the man admitted he’d been in the washroom where the 23 kilos had been found and that he had observed the ceiling dust seen on his shoulder, his arrest for importing coke was now null and void.

“Supt. Ryan relied on a stereotype based on national origin to expose Jamaican-born Canadians to different treatment and scrutiny. There are no independent studies to support his perception that Jamaican Canadians travel to Jamaica and not other Caribbean countries or that they are more likely to return to their country of origin than any other national,” Dennison wrote.

“The fact that Supt. Ryan had reasonable objective grounds to approach and suspect the applicant of importing cocaine is of no moment. Supt. Ryan relied on his perception of persons of certain national origin and race should travel as an ‘indicator’ in suspecting that the applicant imported cocaine.”

And Edwards walked free.

mmandel@postmedia.com
There was a coke shortage on the street so this will help with that. I do hope they returned his coke to him.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
N.Y. governor regrets saying Black kids in Bronx don’t know what computer is
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Anthony Izaguirre
Published May 07, 2024 • 1 minute read

ALBANY, N.Y. — New York Gov. Kathy Hochul says she regrets making an offhand remark that suggested Black children in the Bronx do not know what the word “computer” means.

Hochul, a Democrat, made the extemporaneous comment Monday while being interviewed at a large business conference in California to discuss expanding economic opportunities in artificial intelligence for low-income communities.

“Right now, we have young Black kids growing up in the Bronx who don’t even know what the word computer is. They don’t know, they don’t know these things,” Hochul said while on stage at the Milken Institute Global Conference.

The remark was not addressed during the interview and the governor went on to explain that her goal is to provide avenues for communities of color to access emerging artificial intelligence technologies as a means to address social inequality.

Still, the gaff drew immediate criticism from some political leaders in New York, including state Assemblywoman Amanda Septimo, a Bronx Democrat, who said the remark was “harmful, deeply misinformed, and genuinely appalling.”

In a statement later Monday, Hochul said “I misspoke and I regret it.”

“Of course Black children in the Bronx know what computers are _ the problem is that they too often lack access to the technology needed to get on track to high-paying jobs in emerging industries like AI,” Hochul said. “That’s why I’ve been focused on increasing economic opportunity since Day One of my Administration, and will continue that fight to ensure every New Yorker has a shot at a good-paying job.”

New York state Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie, a Democrat who represents the Bronx in the Legislature, came to Hochul’s defense as her remarks began to gain traction online.

“While the governor’s words were inartful and hurtful, I don’t believe that is where her heart is. I firmly believe she wants to see all of our students excel,” Heastie said.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Jasmine Hartin reveals her Belize nightmare in new podcast

Author of the article:Brad Hunter
Published May 07, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read

Canadian mom of two Jasmine Hartin claims she looks like hell.

She does not. Oh, far from it.

The Kingston native could be forgiven if a hair was out of place after the ordeal she endured in Belize for the past three years. Now, a new podcast called White Devil takes a deep dive into the investigation.

In an exclusive interview with the Toronto Sun, Hartin explains that her odyssey through the country’s legal system seems unending. She has a gag order regarding any discussion of her children, who were whisked out of the country by her ex-husband.

“I am not the ‘White Devil,'” Hartin told the Sun.

Hartin, 34, exploded onto the world’s front pages and airwaves in May 2021 when she accidentally shot her friend, San Pedro police chief Henry Jemmott. She was married to Andrew Ashcroft, the son of the country’s richest man, Sir Michael Ashcroft.

Daddy wields a very big stick in Belize, controlling much of the media and other enterprises. He also has considerable power in Westminster and British Tory circles.

Hartin — a real estate agent-turned-resort developer — saw her life tossed into a death spiral. Her ex-husband whisked her children off to the Caribbean, she was charged with assault and possession of cocaine, and one rumour floated was that she plotted to kill a judge.

None of the charges were proven.

“And they want me to serve 300 community hours which is unprecedented in Belize. There is no protocol for this and there is no apparatus for community service,” she said.

In addition to trying to get her children back, Hartin is attempting to reestablish her career in development with projects in the Turks and Caicos.

But Hartin adds that she remains determined to unravel how she lost the resort in Belize that was her and her former partner’s pet project.

“I want to know how it was stolen from me and then sold to Waterloo Investment Holdings, a company controlled by Sir Michael Ashcroft without any compensation to me,” Hartin said, adding that Waterloo is traded on the Bermuda Stock Exchange.

“I certainly didn’t sign any documents.”

She added that her ex-husband has “never given me a cent.”

And then there were the bogus charges Hartin said are “clearly invented.” And the affair dragged on and on and on.

“The podcast is ultimately about abuse of power. Belize is controlled by a handful of very wealthy and powerful families. You cannot step out of line,” Hartin said.

“This is what they did to me: Character assassination, public smearing, false accusations … expert gun user,” she said. “They deny leaking provocative videos of me.”

Hartin’s life remains in limbo despite all her optimism and fighting spirit. Jemmott’s family filed a wrongful death suit, and the matter of her children, other “batshit charges” and “non-stop shenanigans” from her enemies have worn her down.

Her story is also a cautionary tale for Canadians abroad: The government isn’t much help unless you’re dead.

“I haven’t heard a peep from the Canadian government. There were some helpful people at the embassy but even then, there is only so much they’re allowed to do,” Hartin said.

“When there were death threats against me and my mother, Global Affairs didn’t offer to protect us even if you reiterate your fears a thousand times.”

In 2017, a Toronto woman named Francesca Matus and her American boyfriend were brutally murdered the night before she was to return home from Belize. The U.S. sent in the FBI and U.S. Marshals.

Canada did nothing.

The first two episodes of White Devil have dropped.

bhunter@postmedia.com

@HunterTOSun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Toronto Police Supt. Stacy Clarke apologizes for cheating scandal

Published May 08, 2024 • Last updated 3 days ago • 3 minute read

For the first time since the scandal broke, Supt. Stacy Clarke spoke publicly about helping Black officers cheat on their promotional exam.
Toronto Police Supt. Stacy Clarke pleaded guilty on Thursday, Sept. 28, 2023, to seven counts under the Police Services Act for helping mentees cheat in a promotional interview process.
She’s sorry. But.

For the first time since the scandal broke more than two years ago, Toronto Police Supt. Stacy Clarke spoke publicly about helping Black officers cheat on their promotional exam, owning that what she did was wrong and apologizing to police and her community for not taking the “right path.”

“I am deeply, deeply sorry that we’re here today,” Clarke told the disciplinary tribunal Wednesday.

But she also wanted to explain the “why.”

“If the ‘why’ was not known, it would just seem as if I was just some type of rogue vigilante officer. And I’m not,” she insisted. “I was overcome with emotion and frustration, and I dare say, desperation.”

In September 2023, the first Black female superintendent in the history of the Toronto Police Service pleaded guilty to seven counts under the Police Services Act. According to the agreed statement of facts, Clarke provided interview questions and answer rubrics to six candidates for sergeant who she was mentoring while she was a member of promotional interview panels in 2021.

She also admitted running through a mock interview with a close family friend over three days at her home that included questions taken from those asked during promotional interviews the previous week. Clarke then sat in on their interview and didn’t disclose their relationship.

How can a high-ranking cop justify what she did? Unlike her supporters who see her as a hero, Clarke admits the ends didn’t justify the means she used to address what is obviously a well-known problem.

The tribunal was told only 1.7% of Black candidates are promoted. But two wrongs don’t make a right — even to serve the almighty god of diversity, equity and inclusion.

Clarke explained her frustration that after years of working internally on committees and finally achieving promises that the promotions process would be more fair and Black officers would finally have a level playing field and a shot at moving up the ranks, the TPS Board-approved plan to provide the interview questions in advance to all was abruptly shelved with no explanation.

“It was very devastating,” Clarke explained.

A psychiatrist who examined her concluded her “lived experiences of systemic racism and her experiences and frustration in addressing the challenges and barriers faced by Black officers within the Toronto Police Service played a significant and contributory role in influencing her misconduct which is at odds with her otherwise proven record and good judgment throughout her tenure with the organization.”

Defence lawyer Joseph Markson is asking that Clarke, who has an otherwise unblemished record, be demoted to the rank of inspector for a year to 18 months and then automatically reinstated to superintendent.

Prosecutor Scott Hutchison wants Clarke demoted two ranks to staff sergeant and then be required to reapply to become superintendent after two years.

Clarke grew emotional when describing how the scandal led to her being ostracized and subjected to a deluge of hateful comments on social media from other officers and even a threatening email. Instead of retiring, as some assumed she would do, she’s determined to carry on.

“This is one misstep,” she insisted.

“I love my job. I love what I do. The idea that I could be impactful inside and outside is of tremendous value to me. And yes, some may say foolishly, but I still believe that we can do what we say we’re going to do.”

Some in the city are calling for her to be fired; others want her declared a saint.

Clarke told hearing officer Robin McElary-Downer that she’s a human being who made a mistake that won’t be repeated. “I have an exemplary record,” she said. “I deserved to be here. I deserved to be superintendent.”

And she defiantly vowed to go as high as she can as a police officer. “Make no mistake about it, this incident won’t stop me. It shapes me — but it will not define me.”

mmandel@postmedia.com

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Senior Toronto Police officer Stacy Clarke claims unfair system prompted cheating
The first high-ranking Black woman in the service's history sought to 'level the playing field' for Black cops in the promotion process

Published May 09, 2024 • Last updated 3 days ago • 3 minute read

For the first time since the scandal broke, Supt. Stacy Clarke spoke publicly about helping Black officers cheat on their promotional exam.
Toronto Police Supt. Stacy Clarke pleaded guilty on Thursday, Sept. 28, 2023, to seven counts under the Police Services Act for helping mentees cheat in a promotional interview process.
Toronto Police Insp. Stacy Clarke insists she regrets leaking interview questions and answers to six Black officers she’d mentored for promotion.

But under cross-examination at the fourth day of her disciplinary hearing, the first high-ranking Black woman in Toronto Police history sounded increasingly more defiant than she did apologetic.

“Having received the questions and answers, you come to decide you would, in breach of your oath of secrecy and that order, you would send the answers to some of your mentees, correct?” prosecutor Scott Hutchison asked Thursday.

“You’re correct about the act,” Clarke responded, “but with all due respect, Mr. Hutchison, I think it’s important you understand the moments that led up to that action – my experience with systemic racism, my experience with systemic unfairness and also my experience with the challenges and the barriers that Black members have endured, that Black members have felt.”

It’s all about the context, the hearing has heard over and over again.

It was the morning of Nov. 29, 2022, and Clarke and her fellow panelists had been given the questions and answers’ rubric they would be using for that day’s promotions interviews. Before they began, she was in the senior officers’ lounge and decided to lobby for the six Black members she’d been mentoring.

But while others were advocating for their own mentees during that 15-minute conversation, she claims she was made to feel “invisible.”

“I was very upset, I was very frustrated, I was beside myself,” Clarke recalled. “It was my tipping point.”

While alone with the question and answers, she photographed them and leaked them to three of her mentees, including two who had interviews later that day and, Hutchison said, were now armed with the right answers.

To which Clarke replied quite disingenuously, “I sent them to level the playing field but I don’t know if they looked at their phones.”

“It’s certainly not looking like a level playing field to other officers who didn’t have the answers given to them beforehand, correct?” Hutchison asked.

“I don’t know if they had the answers or not,” Clarke replied.

“Well, are you suggesting there were other officers involved in cheating the way you were?” the prosecutor pressed.

“I’m just suggesting that the process is unfair,” Clarke responded, pointing to a Deloitte study released in 2022 that found complaints from TPS officers that the promotion process wasn’t transparent and the white, male-dominated leadership was promoting others who looked like them.

“I’ve taken accountability. It’s not an excuse. I’ve owned it,” she said of her misconduct. “What I am saying to you is you cannot be setting the stage to say that this is the first time. This is not. And I’m not going to allow that to be the statement today.”

Clarke pleaded guilty last fall to seven counts under the Police Services Act. In addition to photographing and texting the questions and answers to her candidates on Nov. 29 and Nov. 30, 2022, she’s also admitted that she continued mentoring a family friend, despite the order that all meetings must end a week before the interviews began, and didn’t disclose a conflict when she was one of the panelists at his interview.

It also wasn’t a momentary lapse in judgment.

“This course of misconduct stretches over two weeks, correct?” the prosecutor suggested.

“Yes, and systemic racism and unfairness has been taking place over two decades of my career,” Clarke retorted.

Defence lawyer Joseph Markson is asking that Clarke, who has an otherwise unblemished record, be demoted to the rank of inspector for 12 to 18 months and then automatically reinstated to superintendent.

The prosecutor wants her demoted two ranks to staff-sergeant and then be required to reapply to superintendent after two years.

Whatever the decision, the saddest part, perhaps, is that Clarke’s good intentions have so spectacularly backfired – the cheating scandal has tarnished her sterling reputation and has been seized upon by racists to question all non-white hires.

If she doesn’t receive a serious demotion for her misconduct, the police rank-and-file will claim senior management gets away with a slap on the wrist. If the penalty is harsh, her community will see it as yet another example of anti-Black racism in the police service.

Hutchison will make his final submissions on Friday.

mmandel@postmedia.com

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
No firing for 'superstar' senior officer who cheated

Published May 10, 2024 • 3 minute read

The irony is that if Supt. Stacy Clarke were anyone else employed by Toronto Police, her bosses would want her fired for a promotions cheating scandal she spearheaded to help Black officers vying for promotion.

But firing isn’t even on the table because the first female Black superintendent in Toronto Police history is a “superstar.”

“In the normal course, a senior officer who over the course of 10 days engages in a cheating scheme and draws in six constables is unfit for further service in the organization,” prosecutor Scott Hutchison said on the last day of her week-long disciplinary hearing.

Her admitted misconduct wasn’t a momentary slip, either, he said.

Clarke admits she was so fed up with anti-Black racism and the failure of good candidates to get ahead that she embarked on a secret campaign that spanned almost two weeks — photographing questions and answers and feeding them to the six officers she was mentoring, running mock interviews over three days despite an order that all panelists should stop meeting with officers applying for sergeant a week ahead of the process starting and then actually being part of the panel that interviewed one of the six without disclosing he was a family friend.

That “deceitful” conduct undermined the integrity of the process and the service and would “normally call for dismissal,” the TPS lawyer said.

“That is not where we end up when we talk about this officer.”

Last fall, Clarke pleaded guilty to seven counts under the Police Service Act after she was caught in the cheating scheme in late 2021. She’s told hearing officer Robin McElary-Downer that she’s sorry she didn’t choose the “right path” to deal with her frustration and desperation after watching years of promises not amount to any change.

But Hutchison reminded the hearing that this wasn’t a public inquiry into anti-Black racism within the force and began his closing submission by reiterating that TPS acknowledges they have a problem and Clarke has been instrumental in its journey toward addressing inequalities.

At issue, he said, is how to penalize a senior police officer who faced with unfairness, violated the ethical and professional standards of her position that require her to do the right thing – even when no one is looking.

“What’s so troubling about all of this is that Supt. Clarke is a superstar,” he said. “She was somebody admired by members of the service and the community. She was somebody who was looked up to. She was an example, particularly for Black officers who sought to move up in the organization and work for the community in the way that she has.

“What is so troubling is that example became one of a cheater.”

Clarke’s lawyer, Joseph Markson, urged the hearing officer to consider the “context” of the racism she’s faced and demote her to inspector for a year to 18 months and then automatically reinstate her to superintendent.

Counsel for the TPS proposed Clarke should be demoted two ranks: to staff sergeant for a year and then to inspector for another year. But Hutchison said she should be required to reapply for the superintendent position she held.

Markson called that penalty “crushing” and it would mean a heavy financial hit for the single mom of two teens who has served TPS for 26 years with distinction. He also warned it would send the wrong message.

The Black community has already signaled that it is watching carefully.

“The community will be extremely disappointed and offended if Superintendent Stacy Clarke receives a disproportionate discipline for her actions,” wrote one observer watching the hearing virtually.

“It will definitely be seen as a direct result of systemic racism which is deeply entrenched in policing. And it will unequivocally impact the relationship between the police and the Canadian Black community.

McElary-Downer said she expects to have a decision on penalty by mid-summer.

“I apologize in advance Supt. Clarke,” she said. “I know this weighs heavy on you.”

mmandel@postmedia.com

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Attorney, family of Black airman fatally shot by Florida deputies say he was patriot
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Stephen Smith And Mike Schneider
Published May 09, 2024 • 4 minute read

FORT WALTON BEACH, Fla. — The family of a Black U.S. Air Force airman who was fatally shot by deputies who burst into his apartment in the Florida Panhandle said Thursday that they wanted to clear his name and that authorities had put forth a false narrative that deputies acted in self-defense.

Senior Airmen Roger Fortson did not know it was sheriff’s deputies who were breaking into his apartment — “his castle” — and that he grabbed his “legally registered firearm” to protect himself, civil rights attorney Ben Crump told reporters. Fortson’s family planned to view body camera video later in the day.

Fortson’s mother, Chantemekki Fortson, walked into the news conference with Crump holding a framed portrait of her son in his dress uniform. She burst into tears as Crump spoke about her son’s death inside his Fort Walton Beach apartment.

“My baby was shot up,” she said.

The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office planned to hold a news conference later Thursday afternoon. It has declined to identify the responding deputies or their races. Officials have said the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the local State Attorney’s Office will investigate the shooting.

Crump said deputies responding to a disturbance call burst into the wrong unit and fatally shot Fortson when they saw he had a gun. He said Fortson had grabbed his gun because he heard someone outside his apartment, got no response when he asked who was there and discovered the peephole on his door was blocked.

“For whatever reason, they thought he was a bad guy, but he was a good guy. He was a great guy. He was an exceptional guy,” Crump said. “They took a patriot from us.”

Crump, a noted civil rights attorney, called the shooting “an unjustifiable killing” and said the sheriff’s office needed to own up to it instead of maintaining that deputies were acting in self-defense.

“He was just in his apartment, minding his businesses,” Crump said. “They could have made sure they were at the right apartment. They had a duty to make sure they were at the right apartment before they busted in the door.”

The sheriff’s office has not responded to an email or voicemail from The Associated Press seeking comment about Crump’s account. In a statement last week, the office said a deputy responding to a call of a disturbance in progress at the apartment complex reacted in self-defense after encountering an armed man. The office did not offer details on what kind of disturbance deputies were responding to or who called them.

Crump said Fortson, originally from Atlanta, was shot six times and died at a hospital. The deputy who shot him was placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Fortson had constitutional rights to have the firearm and against unreasonable searches by the police, Crump said. He led family members and other attorneys in a chant of, “Clear Roger’s name.”

“Any law-abiding citizens who feel they have a right to the Fourth Amendment and the Second Amendment, they should be troubled by this,” Crump said.

Crump said Fortson had always wanted to join the U.S. Air Force and enlisted after graduating high school. He was based at the Special Operations Wing at Hurlburt Field. As a special missions aviator, one of his roles was to load the gunship’s cannons during missions.

“He was living his dream. By doing so, he was going to make it better for his mother and siblings so they could have a better chance at the American dream,” Crump said.

Fortson was talking to his girlfriend, who hasn’t yet been identified, on FaceTime when deputies burst into his apartment on May 3, Crump added.

Without her, his family wouldn’t have known what happened, he said. The girlfriend notified his mother, who drove to Fort Walton Beach to find out that her son was dead.

At the hospital, deputies approached Chantemekki Fortson, and she told them, “‘You guys have killed my baby. Just take me to my baby please. I just want to see my child,”‘ she recounted at the news conference.

“They had taken my gift,” she said. “My heart is bleeding, and they wanted to talk to me. They told me the investigation was ongoing,” she said.

FDLE spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger told The Associated Press on Wednesday that it is unlikely the agency will have any further comment until the investigation is complete.

Crump, based in Tallahassee, Florida, has been involved in multiple high-profile law enforcement shooting cases involving Black people, including those of Ahmaud Arbery, Trayvon Martin, Tyre Nichols, George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, who was also killed in her home during a no-knock police raid that targeted her ex-boyfriend in 2020.

Fortson’s death draws striking similarities to other Black people killed in recent years by police in their homes, in circumstances that involved officers responding to the wrong address or responding to service calls with wanton uses of deadly force.

In 2018, a white former Dallas police officer fatally shot Botham Jean, who was unarmed, after mistaking his apartment for her own. Amber Guyger, the former officer, was convicted of murder and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

In 2019, a white former Fort Worth, Texas, officer fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson through a rear window of her home after responding to a nonemergency call reporting that Jefferson’s front door was open. Aaron Dean, the former officer, was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to nearly 12 years in prison.

Crump represented families in both cases as part of his effort to force accountability for the killings of Black people at the hands of police.

In November 2023, an Okaloosa County Sheriff’s deputy mistook the sound of an acorn hitting his patrol vehicle for a gunshot and fired multiple times at the SUV where a handcuffed Black man was sitting in the backseat. Sheriff’s officials said the man, who was being questioned about stealing his girlfriend’s car, was not injured. He was taken into custody, but released without being charged. The officer who initiated the shooting resigned.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
BLM foundation suing group funding anti-Israel college protests
Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Published May 10, 2024 • Last updated 2 days ago • 2 minute read

Black Lives Matter has filed a lawsuit against a progressive nonprofit that has been funding anti-Israel protest groups.

BLM’s Global Network Foundation accused the Tides Foundation of fraud and withholding more than $33 million in donations.

Tides, which was founded in 1976 and manages hundreds of millions in donations for progressive groups, allegedly “refused to honor its promises and continues to commandeer BLMGNF’s donations,” according to the suit obtained by the New York Post.

The nonprofit, which acts as a “fiscal sponsor” that collects donations on behalf of groups that may not have “501(c)(3) tax-exempt status,” the Post reported, manages the money collected for pro-Palestinian groups that have supported anti-Israel protests across the country on top of BLM and its groups.

“Tides has engaged in deceptive business practices and has operated in a quasi-banking capacity without appropriate regulatory oversight of licenses,” BLMGNF’s lawsuit alleges.

“Tides operates with a level of autonomy and minimal regulatory scrutiny that is starkly at odds with the regulatory framework imposed on traditional financial institutions.”

The nonprofit has more than $1.4 billion in assets and essentially acts as a bank — only without banking regulations, the lawsuit claims, according to the Post.

BLMGNF, the national organization founded in 2017, received tens of millions in donations after the death of George Floyd in 2020.

The group did not have tax-exempt status from the IRS at the time, and reached out to Tides for help managing the deluge of donations.

Tides takes a percentage from the donations to manage groups’ funds, but assured BLMGNF that it would return the collected cash once it received tax-exempt status, according to the lawsuit.

BLMGNF’s donations were held in a “collective action fund,” but the group would be able to access the funds as needed.

BLMGNF and Tides cut ties in 2022, but Tides has allegedly refused to hand over the foundation’s $33 million, according to the complaint.

Tides, instead, has allegedly sent a portion of the funds to other BLM groups without BLMGNF’s permission.

A Tides official said it had transferred $7.4 million to BLMGNF but according to the lawsuit, only part of the funds, $4.75 million, was sent — to an unaffiliated BLM chapter in Oklahoma City.

“It is unclear why such a large amount would have been granted to a single city’s BLM chapter,” the complaint reads.

However, Tides issued a statement claiming the money in the collective action fund was “never intended to be granted to large, well-funded national organizations like Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, and was always intended to be granted to local Black Lives Matter chapters.”

It continued: “BLMGNF’s lawsuit seeks to circumvent the intent of the Fund’s donors and deprive grassroots Black Lives Matter chapters critical resources, for its own benefit.”

That includes BLM Grassroots, a radical group headed by activist Melina Abdullah

MLMGNF insisted to the Post that Tides was not authorized to give out donations earmarked for BLMGNF to other BLM groups and chapters, adding it “never expected to become victims of … unscrupulous business practices.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Two students expelled from Cali school for 'blackface' awarded $1M after proving it was acne mask
Author of the article:postmedia News
Published May 10, 2024 • Last updated 2 days ago • 2 minute read

A pair of teens kicked out of their California Catholic school won $1 million in a lawsuit.
A pair of teens kicked out of their California Catholic school won $1 million in a lawsuit. PHOTO BY HANDOUT /SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA
A pair of teens who were booted from their elite California Catholic school after being falsely accused of wearing blackface have been awarded a cool $1 million US for their troubles.

The unnamed 14-year-olds were students at Saint Francis High School in Mountain View when they snapped a photo during a 2017 sleepover while wearing what they later proved was a green acne face mask.

According to their lawsuit, the duo took the photo in solidarity with a friend who was suffering from severe acne, the New York Post reported.

The treatment, purchased by one of the boy’s moms, was light green when applied and turned dark green once dry.

Their selfie went viral three years later and was widely shared during the height of the Black Lives Matter protests following the 2020 murder of George Floyd.

A Santa Clara County jury agreed this week that the school breached an oral contract and didn’t give them due process before expelling the students in 2020, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The students, identified as A.H. and H.H. in the lawsuit, were each awarded $500,000 in cash and will have their $70,000 tuition reimbursed.

“This case is significant not only for our clients but for its groundbreaking effect on all private high schools in California, which are now legally required to provide fair procedure to students before punishing or expelling them,” said Krista Baughman, one of the attorneys for the students.

“The jury rightly confirmed that Saint Francis High School’s procedures were unfair to our clients and that the school is not above the law.”

A.H.’s family said in a statement: “We want to sincerely thank the jury and the court system for helping our boys and our families find justice, which now paves the way for their names to be cleared for things they never did.”

The lawsuit had initially sought $20 million. The jury rejected some of the boys’ claims, including defamation and violation of free speech.

Representatives for the school said they “respectfully disagree” with the jury’s decision and are “exploring legal options,” including an appeal.
1715600731417.png