Hard drugs to be decriminalized in British Columbia

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is nothing "caring & compassionate" about giving out "free drugs" and allowing these drugs to be taken anywhere at any time. How is this "caring & compassionate?" Again, they're in the process of changing the meanings of words because this isn't caring & compassionate at all.
CUPE and BCGEU have zero interest in solving the problem or "caring". They'll lose too many dues paying members and most of all power.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I always figured it was everybody's right to pick their own particular road to hell, without let or hindrance.
You ever read 1984? Substitute NDP for Big Brother, and you will have a fairly accurate view of politics in BC. Here is one that even you will have problems with. THe NDP is currently eliminating all self regulating professional bodies and replacing them with party hacks with no expertise in the fields. This even includes the Law Society of BC. and The college of physicians and Surgeons.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You ever read 1984? Substitute NDP for Big Brother, and you will have a fairly accurate view of politics in BC. Here is one that even you will have problems with. THe NDP is currently eliminating all self regulating professional bodies and replacing them with party hacks with no expertise in the fields. This even includes the Law Society of BC. and The college of physicians and Surgeons.
And the race to mediocrity continues!

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
And the race to mediocrity continues!
Poilievre's day-long removal from the House of Commons came after he called Trudeau a "wacko" for supporting B.C.'s policy of decriminalizing some hard drugs in an attempt to reduce the number of overdose-related deaths.
Poilievre said it was a "wacko policy" backed by "this wacko prime minister." Fergus asked him to withdraw the "unparliamentary language."
Poilievre refused, saying only that he agreed to replace "wacko" with "extremist" or "radical."
Poilievre's refusal prompted Fergus to remove him.
Personally I prefer “Whackadoodle” but that’s just me.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Things are about to get a lot more interesting I’m assuming.
1714522439039.jpeg
“Mr Poilievre, I have to name you for disregarding the authority of the chair. Pursuant to the authority granted to me… I order you to withdraw from the House and from any participation by videoconference for the remainder of this day’s sitting,” Fergus said.

The House then erupted into a cacophony of noise as the Conservative leader left the chamber, followed slowly by his entire caucus.

On Tuesday, Fergus revealed he apparently believes it’s not unparliamentary for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to accuse Conservative leader of Pierre Poilievre of courting racists, but it is unparliamentary for Poilievre to call Trudeau a “wacko” pursuing “wacko” policies in response.

Fergus threw Poilievre out of the Commons after rejecting his substitutions of the word “extremist” to describe Trudeau and his policies as “radical.”

But he did nothing to Trudeau, who started the bitter exchange with Poilievre when he asked whether Trudeau would grant the request of B.C.’s NDP government to re-criminalize the use of street drugs in public places in that province.
Trudeau ignored the question, accusing Poilievre of “actively courting the support of groups with white nationalist views,” demanding he apologize.

Poilievre responded: “I always condemn extremism and racism, including from the guy who spent the first half of his adult life as a practising racist, dressing up in hideous, racist costumes so many times he can’t remember them all.”

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is diagalon even real? I'm extremely white and have never heard of it.
Until the Trudeau rhetoric surrounding the trucker convoy protest parking thing in Ottawa…I had never heard of it either.

Guess who came out and denounced diagalon? Poilievre. But that’s not overly newsworthy. Members of this diagalon thing where discussing Poilievre’s wife, & that went over like a lead balloon.
This (Fergus ejecting Poilievre) is already being dissected, & it’s kind of interesting…

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Anywho…It is too early to draw conclusions about drug decriminalization, the federal addictions and mental health minister suggested Monday, after British Columbia asked Ottawa to scale back its pilot to help curb concerns over public drug use.

In her first public remarks since B.C., made its request, Ya'ara Saks noted that the province is only a year into its three-year pilot project, which began in January 2023.

To make it happen, Health Canada issued an exemption to federal drug laws decriminalizing possession of small amounts of certain illegal drugs, including heroin, fentanyl, cocaine and methamphetamine.

"We're still evaluating the data," the minister said.

But on Friday, B.C. Premier David Eby asked Health Canada to amend that exemption order to recriminalize the use of those drugs in public spaces such as hospitals and restaurants.
1714569293273.jpeg
While adults would still be allowed to use such drugs in private, they could be arrested for using them in public.

The request followed months of backlash from residents, health-care workers, police and conservative politicians about the project's effect on public safety.
Eby told reporters Monday that other jurisdictions can learn from its experience with decriminalization to date.

He said there must be resources in place to address public drug use.

"There are important lessons to be learned on where we are to date, that don't need to be repeated," he said.

"Addressing the public's concern around public use is critical to having their understanding about taking a health approach to addiction. Balancing those two things is core, and I hope other jurisdictions take that lesson and don't repeat our mistakes."

British Columbia is asking Ottawa to roll back decriminalization of possession of small amounts of narcotics, led by NDP Premier David Eby — who fought for legalized supervised-injection sites in Vancouver with the Pivot Legal Society, before becoming executive director of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, where he advanced similar causes.

Decriminalization was something B.C. itself requested, but a lunatic judge decided last year that “decriminalization” means people must be allowed to consume illicit, hard drugs wherever and whenever they want: playgrounds, splash pads, bus shelters.

The complainant in that court case was the Harm Reduction Nurses Association, represented by the Pivot Legal Society.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Anywho…It is too early to draw conclusions about drug decriminalization, the federal addictions and mental health minister suggested Monday, after British Columbia asked Ottawa to scale back its pilot to help curb concerns over public drug use.

In her first public remarks since B.C., made its request, Ya'ara Saks noted that the province is only a year into its three-year pilot project, which began in January 2023.
Give them until next year, let's see if they make their quota of people overdosing in the street. I think they said six people a day in Vancouver. The government wants to get those numbers up into the teens.

Reactions: Taxslave2